View Single Post
Old 06-06-2019, 12:48 PM
Supporting Member

The next step is to see if you can turn the IP sprocket. Since the belt is already stripped we won't worry about damaging that.

The IP shaft is surprisingly difficult to turn by hand but can be done. You might be able to get a wrench on the pulley nut (tighter clearance in a 240) and see if you can turn the shaft. If it feels really locked don't force it, but you should be able to feel it can be rocked back and forth a few degrees in the slack section before it starts to come up against the internal spring pressure building up in the internal cam ramps. It will take increasingly stronger force to continue thru the spring force at the height of the ramp, then after its peak it will snap ahead on its own (spring pressure) to the next slack zone.

With wrench on the nut your leverage is sufficient to be able to rotate the shaft. I would go clockwise on the nut (as if tightening), otherwise you risk loosening the nut. Unless the IP internals are already damaged, there is no problem rotating the IP shaft in the reverse direction.

See if you can rotate the shaft, there should be 6 spring-loadings and 6 "valleys" per revolution.

If it is locked up that is another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselScout View Post
So a new belt and I should be back on the road?
Need to see if the IP rotates first, make sure it hasn't seized.

Quote:
Anything else I should have checked?
No we are progressing in an orderly fashion.

Quote:
Is it likely that this was caused by higher engine temperatures after my coolant hose blew or was this belt improperly installed by the previous mechanic?
It is possible but not easy to verify direct cause yet.