View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 04:07 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo d6 View Post
Why don`t you name the video How to not start a old volvo diesel with aluminum head?
That's what I was about to say... I don't know how you can do that to an IDI aluminum head diesel. You can hear the poor thing crying out for help. One of my D24Ts is a beautiful one-owner 740 sedan that was maintained well by its owner (oil changes, belts etc on time), but it was started up like that every morning. She would start it with lots of revs and foot on the throttle (I saw her do it), drop it into Drive, and immediately start hauling ass up a big hill near her house every time she went anywhere. Well, guess what? After only 158,000 miles the engine is *completely* worn out. It has zero, and I mean zero, compression. The starter can spin it over without even trying. It sort of started when I bought it last summer, but now that it's cooler out, it won't start at all no matter what I do. The poor thing gave in to the abuse.

You won't like to hear this, but your motor will end up the same way if that is how you routinely treat it. Even a fairly worn D24T will start OK from cold if it has good glow plugs, injectors, and the valves are adjusted properly. If you do those things, you won't need to treat it that way in order to get it going.