View Single Post
Old 11-26-2014, 09:35 PM

Dial indicator, yes.

Cam wheel and crank tools have a line on genuine. Though would buy those and the funny scalloped out socket to remove the injectors.

Do you need a lens grinding set or similar to lap the injector pieces super smooth? Like super fine sand paper on a flat granite measuring table or similar when shimming up the Monark nozzles for pop-off pressure?

Parts available where for the cold start device? I remember seeing numbers and a source for those and the glow plug relay bits.

Have a snap-on torque wrench good for ~280ft-lbs, so with the volvo extension dealie for the crank bolt it is probably enough? I know it's supposed to be 330 at the bolt. I forget what they say to torque it to if using the extension bar. Was always least painful to torque those with the car on a rack from underneath.

I always used to borrow those or my boss had the set of them.

It's a little loud and a little fast. Cold start disabled, timing needs to be verified. Smokes a lot at high(er) RPM under load. I'm hoping a fresh set of Monark's will cure that a fair bit. Parked until I put new floors in my new (to me) house.

Borrowed the funny scallopy socket to remove the injectors to compression test it. Had a pretty even 500psi or whatever, minimal leak down, the core engine itself seems pretty healthy, no oil smoke or alarming oil consumption, good power, a little loud, alarmingly loud when the advance lever is pulled as though the cold start were pulling it into the "cold" position.

Last edited by Fridgewagon; 12-13-2014 at 05:15 PM.