Thread: seized block
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2020, 06:19 AM

Vehicle: 1980 volvo
Default seized block

Good day folks. I have an 84 na d24 m46 that I bought for a donor into a 79 245.Only 235,000 km on the clock. Tried to turn the crank with 27 mm, breaker bar and snipe and no results in either direction. I am ready now to get the car into my shop and test the motor, compression/leak down etc. and replace all consumables on the engine and trans. Would be great to have it running. Bought the car running two yrs. ago and started it every 3-4 months with no problems. It started first crank and had lots of injector noise, clacking. Little or no smoke and I only ran it for 15 minutes idling. Went to start it two months ago and nothing, assumed the starter. Jacked the car and found the starter to be in very poor condition with a busted/corroded rear aluminum case and rotten copper from solenoid to brushes. PRESTO! Thought I had it. But you all know what Thought did. lol I changed out the starter to a known good one and then found the block locked. Anti freeze hydro lock, busted valves, broken cam??? I'll try to elevate these thoughts. Any other things I could check? I can't turn the engine so hard to check timing? . I'll examine the timing belts for missing teeth/slipping. I don't know the history of the car but oil and antifreeze look good. If I have to I'll rebuild the bottom end but with only 235,000 on it that should be ok. Thanks for all the great info and posts already here and thank-you for any input on my problem... Paul