View Single Post
Old 04-08-2022, 12:29 AM

Vehicle: 940 TD hopefully soon...

Nguma and V8Volvo,

Thanks a lot for the info! I also found the useful cummins link you posted in a sticky nguma - it was invaluable, and looking at the pump and thinking logically for just a few seconds and it's obvious how it all works.

(To prevent redundancy, will talk about both posts here!)

V8Volvo - timing belt all done! All moving parts changed at the same time. Also did the IP belt, and IP all back together. Then came the fuel pin (NOT LDA, I was mistaken with thinking it was the LDA pin as you stated) adjustments!

However, I have a problem...

The low idle screw is completely siezed, any screwdrivers I got on it instantly started to crush the screw end. Is this common, is there any way to get around this? I can't take the pump off, so I have to try to sort it in-place. But it's already starting to chew, and if I just do the same I will round the screwhead off. I don't really want to grab the threads on the other end with a vice-grip either, for fear of damaging the threads - but if that is what needs done, so be it.

Any ideas of what to do? I completely pulled the cold start ball away, so that I can sort the warm idle first, then try to place it correctly.

As an aside - it's so much fun to tinker with compared to any modern junk - this is how modifying should be! I work in computing and programming, however this is better than a laptop I feel.