View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 08:21 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

The fan always spins whenever the engine is turning, even when the clutch is "disengaged" -- however it will spin much faster when the clutch engages. I have seen one or two where the visco clutch locked up and the fan spun at full speed all the time, but assuming yours is doing what it should, you'll hear it making lots of whooshing noises during the first minute or two after cold startup, then it will quiet down until air from rad gets hot enough to kick it on.

Glad to hear temp is staying where it should now -- definitely sounds like you had an air bubble in there before. We should make it a sticky on here or something about bleeding procedure so that members can be warned about this -- easy to cook the motor quickly if not all the air is gotten out. Good thing you caught it quickly! Paying attention to idle speed is a good way to watch out for it... every now and then even after I think I have gotten all the air out, I'll leave the motor running for a couple minutes and will hear the engine speed start rising again... Sometimes if you've got a persistent little chunk of air somewhere, putting the trans into low gear and driving around with the engine at higher RPM helps burp the last bit out -- seems like spinning the water pump faster helps.

I agree with Anders, the valve cover gasket can sometimes leak from hidden places and make the leak look like it's coming from somewhere else -- check again before concluding headgasket is at fault. If you have the multi-piece cork v/c gasket those really like to leak so makes it more likely. A leaky front cam seal might be able to simulate this as well. Anything leaking at the front will be blown towards the back by airflow thru the rad, but not the other direction, so often is a good method to find the highest and furthest-forward wet spot when trying to pinpoint the source of a leak.