View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: 1985 Volvo 740 GLE turbo diesel
Thumbs up She's a runner!

A little update ...

I started the car today about an hour ago after approximately 2 weeks of working on it. Fired right up! Here's what I accomplished since I last posted:
  1. Removed and reinstalled the intake manifold to removed the long coolant pipe which travels to the read of the cylinder head.
  2. Cleaned the rear coolant flange, installed a new o-ring, and fitted a small section of hose and a plug to temporarily seal the rear coolant passage.
  3. Reinstalled the Wahler thermostat.
  4. Added oil, soap, and water, checked for leaks and ran the engine for about 10 minutes.

For the o-ring I purchased the Harbor Freight "225 PC. Nitrile O-ring Assortment"; item 67609. This kit comes with a lot of o-rings, from a 3mm ID to a 22mm ID. For the rear coolant flange I used a "G22 22x3mm" o-ring. This fits appropriately snug around the flange neck and is thick enough to mimic that of the o-ring that was installed.

Kit was $4.99 on sale for $3.99 minus a 20% off coupon for $3.19. Naturally I also used my free flashlight coupon, too.

I plan to drive the car locally to get the temperature up and the soap flowing. I'll drain as time provides, but I believe it'll take 8-10 times. Then I'll replace the hoses, radiator, and a good coolant/distilled water mix; and call it winter.

1985 Volvo 740 GLE turbo diesel

Last edited by jbg; 08-16-2013 at 04:08 AM.