View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: 1985 Volvo 740 GLE turbo diesel
Thumbs up

A big thanks to Anders for his help in providing a part number to a much needed freeze plug!

The last few days have been very productive for the Volvo. I have removed the oil cooler and its associated plumbing. I decided to skip the installation of the oil adapter as the car was parked on a public street and the neighborhood "passive-aggressives" were in force. Instead I installed the new OEM double-male oil filter nipple with blue Loctite on its threads and a new Wix oil filter (sans Loctite!).

The oil cooler hose that plugs into the block at the thermostat housing was a real bear to tackle. I tried tapping the hose barb out of the block with a punch, but as the engine is installed in the car this proved very tedious. Instead I took the low road of cutting the barb with a cut-off wheel and sawing and punching until the barb could take no more. I even managed to spare the block any damage, hizzah! I installed a Dorman (PN 555-016) freeze plug at 23.90mm width with red Loctite.

At this point I still need to address the coolant barb at the rear of the cylinder head. A freeze plug would be ideal but it's too cramped back there. Instead I'll use a hose plug and (hopefully) call it good. At this point the engine is ready to receive its fluids and multiple applications of the cooling system flush regime.

Question: I removed the thermostat as it was (probably) in need of replacement. I planned on keeping it out for the duration of the flushing. My logic was no thermostat would provide better soapy water flow; thoughts?

1985 Volvo 740 GLE turbo diesel

Last edited by jbg; 08-07-2013 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Spellin'