View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: 1985 Volvo 740 GLE turbo diesel

Update #1:

I de-greased the front bottom half of the engine as this was the worst or it. A significant collection of oily grime was on the bottom half of the alternator, front of the sump, oil filter, and where the oil pump and engine block meet. The oil cooler and its two coolant lines were free of oil. Looking at my VADIS diagrams I see there is an oil pump gasket (p/n 3507028) and naturally the oil pan gasket as plausible culprits.

There is a thick and sticky coating of oil on the front of the cross member. I suppose this is due to the oil leaking at speed and splashing on the cross member as it travels rearward.

I have a few questions based on my limited research and what I've been able to see on the car:
  1. Are the seals used on the timing belt cover only used to keep debris out of the belt?
  2. Are there any additional paths where oil can escape on the front of the engine? I'm ruling the head gasket out as the engine is dry at that level.
  3. Is there a front crankshaft seal? My VADIS does not show one, and Rock Auto seems vague.

Here is a pic of after the initial clean up:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

1985 Volvo 740 GLE turbo diesel