View Single Post
Old 01-04-2016, 09:48 AM

Vehicle: 740 2.4 TD GLE 1986

Well, this morning, temp about 3- degrees celsius, on my way to work. The darn' thing would not start. So did some measurements this evening, after charging the battery.

The battery was about fully charged, and I used a "battey tester" to test the battery. Type in the size of the battery, and the thing load-tests the battery. The result was "Passed", and an estimated capacity was at 90%.

After that, I did a test on the alternator. It is the original Bosch 55A, and it produced right about 60 amps, at 14 volts = passed!

Finally this day, I tested how many amps the starter pulls while cranking. The result was surprising, "only" 235 amps. Specs say that max amp while cranking is just about 300 amp on a direct-drive type. BUT! When I did the crank test, suddenly the voltage dropped to just 8 volts (measured at battery connectors).

I think my "new" half-year old battery is playing tricks on me.. It is the same size as one from a gasser.

As far as I know, the Volvo 700/900's came with two battery sizes. The gasser type, and "small truck" one = almost twice the size. Is it possible my 740 is fitted with the wrong starter? I mean if it's possible that the vehicles with gasser a battery, is supposed to be fitted with a gear-reduction starter? And the ones with the larger battery is fitted with the direct-drive type? The gear-reduction is supposed to pull about half the amps as the direct-drive. Just a thought...

Then I think mine has the wrong combo: Large direct-drive and gasser battery!

Which model of battery are your US volvo's equipped with?

Dennis