View Single Post
Old 10-24-2021, 09:39 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Sorry, a correction. It looks like Brickwerks shows a water pump with a good type impeller on that page but now I see it lists it as currently out of stock.

I would recommend searching under "Hepu P527" on ebay, Hepu is a German manufacturer known for quality and its pumps all use the correct type cast metal impeller. P527 is the Hepu part number for early style D24/T/IC.

Or as an alternative that many of us consider to be a slight upgrade -- you can also use Hepu P528 instead. This is the exact same pump housing and pump impeller, but it has a pulley that is two teeth smaller so it spins the water pump a few % faster. Its original application is the 2.4L 5cyl VW Transporter diesel but it is a direct fit on the D24T as well, the pump adjustment easily accommodates the slightly smaller pulley diameter. Believed to provide a slight but useful benefit in cooling system performance especially at lower engine RPM and heavy load, with no drawbacks. I have used a few and been pleased with them, personal experience.

Looks like both the P527 and P528 are readily enough available. Graf and Laso are other known good manufacturers if you find an equivalent from one of them more easily.