View Single Post
Old 12-19-2020, 12:37 PM

Vehicle: 03 vw tdi, 98 vw tdi x 2, 99 isuzu npr, 3x03 disco, 89 , 95 range rover.

The oil pressure sender unit is a beck and arnley correct for the engine (with light rather than a gauge). I can tell by sound that the engine has no oil pressure as when the light goes out the engine tone changes. The sender and light are working and verified with a mechanical pressure gauge. Im satisfied that the issue is oil pressure.

Im running Sinopec brand 15/40w full synthetic oil with a motorcraft brand FL1A oil filter. I find the oil feels like a teflon type slippery feeling between my fingers, in comparison with dino oil. (subjective)

I was using rotella 15/40 regular diesel oil with same filter type before the refresh.

I did a timing belt, water pump when I reringed and replaced main and big end bearings. Packed oil pump using vaseline and flushed and checked oil pump pickup tube all ok there. Oil pan was scrubbed and cleaned as new.

So what are my options.

How much oil on the dipstick max level can I go safely. As it is now it reads 1/4" above the hatched mark on the dipstick .

Only other option is to drain and refill with non synthetic and try that. Its bizzare that if the engine is anything other than flat that this problem can manifest itself. I m aware of the long run to the oil pump from the pickup.

Would a new oil pump with tighter clearances help?

Engine is parked and started on a flat surface .

Thanks for all the suggestions.