D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2013, 08:22 AM

Default Stuck on full throttle when rpm goes above 3500

My 93 940 D24TIC goes automattically to allmost full throttle when rpm reaches 3500.

It is no runaway because it doesn't go in to the red rpm range but it is a very sporty style of cruisecontrol.

If i brake it back to below 3500 and release the clutch it will fall down to idle rpm.

I think this has to do with the injectionpump so i started opening it up but even though i have all the bolts out of the cover it seems to be stuck behind something on the inside.

So to sum it up:
Question 1: anyone any idea why the engine "runs away"?
Question 2: how do i remove the cover of the injection pump?

Tnx!
Old 10-08-2013, 11:13 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malelom View Post
Question 1: anyone any idea why the engine "runs away"?
Governor sticking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malelom View Post
Question 2: how do i remove the cover of the injection pump?
Make sure you index the lever position first!
Remove the screws.
Tilt cover and carefully work the governor spring cage free from the governor lever.
Remove cover/throttle shaft/governor spring cage assy.

I think there is a way to push the throttle shaft thru the cover and remove just the cover. Someone else who has tried that can comment.

What are you hoping to accomplish in the IP with the cover off?
Old 10-08-2013, 11:22 AM

Hmmz, i haven't indexed the lever position...
Why do i have to be so carefull with the governer spring, i might have used a little bit force to see if the cover wanted to come untill i decided it wasn't going to.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Supporting Member

Easy to bend the gov spring cage, which will cause it to fatigue during subsequent use and eventually break, leaving you stranded like it did to me on the freeway during a driving late afternoon rainstorm with an extremely upset female friend.

If you did not index the lever there is a good chance that you will not reassemble it in the correct position and it will not want to idle and/or accelerate as desired.

Knowing what I know now about these IPs, I would not open one up without practicing on a core first. Very high risk of causing worse problems. On-car, almost guaranteed.

What are you hoping to find under the top cover?
Old 10-08-2013, 01:00 PM

I am hoping to find contamination causing stuff to stick or see wear of some sort
to explain this weird engine behaviour.

But i am not an expert on this engines so if you have a better idea i will gladly listen
Old 10-08-2013, 02:17 PM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

Does it do it with the throttle cable unhooked?
No rusty linkage or springs on the outside?
previous fuel contamination issues?
Old 10-08-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 745 TurboGreasel View Post
Does it do it with the throttle cable unhooked?
No rusty linkage or springs on the outside?
previous fuel contamination issues?
Yes it also does is with the cable unhooked, no previous contamination issues.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:23 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

You can remove the top cover without unhooking internal throttle linkage from fulcrum lever by pushing the throttle shaft thru the cover as described, although on a TD pump you might still get hung up on the arm coming down from the aneroid. I forget how that engages. Careful manipulation will get it all extricated, but as ngoma said, it is preferable to have your first time inside a pump occur on one that you don't care about breaking. Putting the top cover back on is much more difficult than removing it, so just pulling it apart is less than half the battle.

Does the engine speed just keep rising out of control, or does it rise up to a certain point and then hang there until you drag it back down with the clutch? If continuing to accelerate with no control over RPM at all, then could be sticking piston or flyweights in the governor, but if it rises to near max revs but then stops there, governor is probably working, at least to some extent. Hard to imagine what else could make it do this but maybe a broken or dislodged spring or some kind of wear/damage to the collar or shaft.

Did it start doing this all of a sudden, or was it a problem that gradually developed? What happens if you turn the key off when it's stuck on high speed?

This is not the answer you want, but since you have eliminated external causes and isolated the problem to the insides of the IP, your safest option is probably to take the pump off and let a rebuilder sort it out for you -- or swap it for a known good running replacement. Theoretically you might be able to *see* the cause for the problem by taking the top off the pump and poking around in there, but the chances for being able to *fix* whatever it is that happened with the pump sitting on the motor are pretty slim. Not only because it might be hard to get it back together right, but because most of the stuff that could go wrong to cause this problem would be inaccessible without tearing the pump all the way down. There's not much besides the throttle linkage that you can play with by removing the top only.

Fortunately pulling or swapping the pump is not a horrible job.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:20 PM

Actually this is exactly the answer i hoped for, gives me enough info to play a little bit again.
I don't know how the problem occured, it was fine when the car was sold, half year later we buy it back and it is doing it.
It is not going to max rpm but is staying just below it and when i turn of the key it kills.