D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Performance and aftermarket
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-16-2011, 08:54 AM

Default Looking to do a few mods on my TDic

Having put about 5k miles on my recently aquired 95 940 wagon, (current milage 112k) and determined that it is a damn good engine (no blow back at all from the oil filler, no oil or water used in 5k miles, compressions are spot on) I'm in the mood for doing a couple of mods to get a bit more power from the engine, I'm not going drag racing but would like to get more of the engine's potential. I do drive pretty hard a lot of the time so I want to restrict it to whatever would be a safe maximum without having to fit a steel head gasket or replacing the head bolts with studs. I'm looking at 4 main area's, 1, doing the little trick with shimmimg the pump governer springs, 2, up the fuel screw a little bit (not too much, I dont want it smoking like a Missisipi paddle boat), 3, up the turbo burst, it has the factory intercooler so from what I've read I can safely go to about 15 on the boost???, and 4, I'd like to get the turbo to start boosting (spooling?) at lower revs. I'm also thinking of some of the smaller mods like the egr valve and the wastegate valve. The first 3 mods are well covered on here but mod 4 doesn't seem to be. Is it possible to get the factory turbo to boost at lower revs?, at the moment it starts to boost a little over 3,100 rpm, I would like to get it down nearer 2,500 or lower if possible so any idea's on how to do that would be very welcome. The car is dealer maintained from new, has full service history and was very well looked after and never thrashed by the previous owner, I know the guy and can verify it was never overheated so it's a good sound solid engine. I'm running full synthetic 15/40 engine oil and will be flushing the autobox shortly, changing the filter and using full synth auto fluid. A new cambelt, injector pump belt,water pump and idler's etc were fitted 21k miles ago, I know there good for about 80k but I'll probably put a new belt on anyway just to be certain as due to the low milage the belt is 5 years old. In the future I plan to fit a taller axle to give it longer legs in the gears and get the revs down a bit for highway cruising. Any thoughts, recommendations, or comments on what I'm planning are very welcome, especially regarding what order to do the mods as I'll be doing it over a period of time, I was thinking governer spring first, then up the boost, next up the fuel screw and finally get the turbo to start boosting at lower revs, seems a logical way to proceed to me, what do you guys think? thanks guys,
Aidan.