D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Member Showroom > The Garage
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
I'm hoping it charges fine without this circuit active.
With the plug disconnected from the back of the alternator, they work just like a normal alternator.

It's an interesting idea that theoretically would both shorten charge times and improve battery longevity by charging at a higher voltage while the battery is cool, but in practice battery acid destroys the sensor and causes it to over-charge when the battery is hot. Volvo later released a FSB that they should all be left disconnected, to revert to normal (non battery temp sensing) operation.

A lead acid battery can be safely (and more quickly) charged at higher voltages at low temperatures, which also helps to avoid sulfation BUT it's absolutely critical to drop this voltage lower at high temperatures to prevent battery damage. A charging system without a temp sensor must assume high temp at all times, and charge the battery with a lower voltage which results in slower charging, and more sulfation (which can shorten battery life).

In theory it's a cost-saving feature that improves battery longevity, but in practice it's an overly complex unreliable system which reduces battery longevity.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Supporting Member

Nice explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casioqv View Post
Volvo later released a FSB that they should all be left disconnected, to revert to normal (non battery temp sensing) operation.
Wish I knew this when I was chasing around for a replacement alternator. Thought it needed to have the funny dual bullet connector on the back of it (rare). I wanted to upgrade to an alt w/ higher amps rating because planning to add 2nd heated seat and better headlights.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:47 AM
Owner/admin

I've never had a problem with the charging system... One of the few things on the car that I haven't had to mess with!

Jason

Back again with a '84 760 GLE D24T/ZF

SOLD but not forgotten! 1984
760 Sedan, built D24Tic/ T-5 swapped

My engine build: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...t=engine+build
T-5 swap: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?399-W...to-quot-w-pics!
Old 02-25-2011, 07:42 AM

I'm interested to know more about the part number of the remote oil filter adapter you used. Also where to get it etc. I'd like to do this as I think my current one is leaking and letting coolant mix with the engine oil.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:56 AM

Looks verry good!

What pump mods have you done and what injectors are you running?

Ever tested different opening pressures on the injectors?
Old 03-02-2011, 09:28 AM
Owner/admin

To Lepsyl: I'm running the DNOSD 273 "GTD" nozzles, I've set them to a higher opening pressure, right around 2400 to 2450 psi, or as close to that as I could get in that range. That was a good few hundred psi higher than the stock and the performance was improved quite a bit. However, I also went from old worn out original injectors. I haven't tried different pressures on the new ones, and I can really imagine the performance difference would be night and day. With the amount of work it is to R&R the injectors, along with reshiming, testing, and doing it over untill you get them all the same, its not really worth it to me to mess with at this point. Pump mods I have done are listed in the performance section, though I'm in the process of building a "built" pump with a 12mm head.

As for the remote oil filter mount, we sell them at work, they are about $15. I used one on the block as well and just cut off the mounting bracket thats cast into it. We have them in ports up, left, and right. Its a full flow filter mount for a air cooled vw bug, just about every vw shop has them if there's one in your area. If not you can always call me up at the shop and we can ship them.

Jason

Old 03-03-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post

As for the remote oil filter mount, we sell them at work, they are about $15. I used one on the block as well and just cut off the mounting bracket thats cast into it. We have them in ports up, left, and right. Its a full flow filter mount for a air cooled vw bug, just about every vw shop has them if there's one in your area. If not you can always call me up at the shop and we can ship them.

Jason
So, if I understand you correctly, you modified the portion of the existing oil cooler/filter mount on the d24t block adapter to accept the oil hoses which you ran to the full flow filter mount? Sounds simple. Did you just hose clamps, or did you tap the existing modified oil filter adapter?
Old 03-15-2011, 09:10 AM

Never mind. I found the kit and now notice that it comes with an adapter for the block AND and adapter for the filter. When you said you modified the portion that hooks to the block, what exactly did you need to do?

Jason
Old 03-15-2011, 04:01 PM
Owner/admin

I just cut off the mounting flange that would be used to bolt the filter adapter to something, since it was in the way of threading it down onto the block. If you look closely at the pictures you can see where it was cut off when its on the block.

Jason

Old 03-15-2011, 04:06 PM
Owner/admin

If you look at the bottom of the adapter, you can see where I cut off the 3 bolt flange, and just threaded it down to the block. Has worked great and no leaks sealing it up with permatex rigid gray silicone.

Jason