D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Help! My car died!
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2024, 11:28 AM
Supporting Member

Time to fit a block-off plate on the vacuum pump mounting face and install an electric vacuum pump.

Sorry I don't have a tutorial for you. I had plans to eventually do this with an electric vacuum pump I found at the junkyard off a newer Volvo but never got around to it.

If you can visit some local wrecking yards you can study how the electric vacuum pumps are plumbed in to the systems of many newer cars.
Old 03-12-2024, 01:09 AM

Vehicle: 1990 Volvo 940 TD & 1989 Volvo 760 TD

That sounds good Ngoma, just out of interest which vehicle did you get the electric pump off? I have considered this myself due to those mechanical pumps being probably the most noisy part of these engines. I can buy a seal kit as I believe it's quite often oil ingress or push rod ware that results in the slapping noise.
Old 03-12-2024, 01:18 PM
Supporting Member

From a later model S- series, (S30?). I had started to disassemble but didn't actually buy it at the time as I was running out of time and quite a bit to remove to get good access to it. Really, I was looking at potential Volvo electric vac pump candidates but there should be no reason not to incorporate a different manufacturer instead, to choose something that will fit and perform satisfactorily. IIRC, some Cadillac electric vac pumps looked promising.

Another benefit of a electric vac pump is in case the engine stalls, you could still retain full power braking capacity.

Farther up on my list is to install the later model squared-shape coolant overflow tank that incorporates a level float switch-- something every D24 deserves!
Old 03-13-2024, 12:17 AM

Vehicle: 1990 Volvo 940 TD & 1989 Volvo 760 TD

Yeah I'll look into electric vacuum pumps and its more than likely a generic one should be capable of doing the job.
Yes, a coolant reservoir off a 960 or late 940 should do that job. I expect it's a relatively simple circuit so you could easily put in an after market bulb or try some with the factory bulbs on the cluster.
Old 03-18-2024, 03:36 AM

Vehicle: 1981 GL 245

Hello!

Wrecking yards in the surroundings don’t allow one to come and study…
I could also remove the head and go for the 14mm to 16mm rod
But this would require extreme precision and doing the head job again and again…
There is no mechanics to help me out
I’m definitely running out of solution
I am going to ditch the car . This is the best thing
To be done
After all I went through, I managed to get the car run . With a great deal of ordeals !
But it seems I am doomed.
If anyone has the contact of sb who could help,
I think if I don’t find any solution within a month, I will have to
Put an end to this venture
Old 03-18-2024, 12:28 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahicori View Post
Wrecking yards in the surroundings don’t allow one to come and study…
That certainly does inhibit the imagination phase of formulating and incorporating a substitute hardware installation.

Do these wrecking yards simply only accept parts orders and they bring it to you at their order desk? Guessing they may be avoiding the risk of injuries (and resultant legal actions) of careless people wandering the yards.
Old 03-19-2024, 07:10 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahicori View Post
Hello!
I am going to ditch the car . This is the best thing
To be done
After all I went through, I managed to get the car run . With a great deal of ordeals !
But it seems I am doomed.
If anyone has the contact of sb who could help,
I think if I don’t find any solution within a month, I will have to
Put an end to this venture
Hope you can find your way through to a solution. Don't give up!!

This is a pretty easily solvable problem really. There are LOTS of electric vacuum pump options out there. We can work on this for you and find you a part number to order if that is what will help.

Almost every modern turbo gasoline car has an electric vacuum pump to help with brake assist. I have seen them on Volvos, Saabs, Audis, Volkswagens, Subarus.... I am sure there are more.

In fact I have a Subaru one sitting on my workbench right now. I would be happy to donate it to you if shipping to Italy can be arranged.

The whole process is not complicated. Add the vacuum pump and wire it to run whenever the key is on. Then just remove the vacuum pump pushrod and install the vacuum pump without it. You can also make a blockoff plate but just having the pump sit there dead works equally well, whatever you find to be easier.
Old 03-20-2024, 11:54 PM

Thank you V8
This message warms my heart …
It would be a tremendous help to tell me what set up i should buy !
Old 03-21-2024, 10:31 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Here is an example similar to the part I have seen off a Subaru. The one I got came with a VW Jetta TDI that had a failed mechanical vacuum pump and this electric pump was powering the brakes. It worked great!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31519333530...Bk9SR8q31KPMYw

This one is $49 on ebay. I am sure similar pumps exist on ebay in France. (Sorry, I said Italy before, for some reason I had that in my mind as your location. Apologies!)

All you have to do is wire it to a sufficient power source that runs whenever the key is on. If it were me, I would probably build a simple circuit using a 4-pole Bosch-type 30A relay with inline fuse direct from the battery, with the relay energized by a wire tapped off the injection pump solenoid which is hot whenever the engine is running. You don't want to overload that circuit to actually power the pump -- hence the use of a relay.

Old 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM

Thank you very much
If I understand correctly, any 12v vacuum pump would
Work without any pb?!