D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-26-2016, 03:55 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: 1985 744 D24T M46
Default Hard Start

Just re-read the sticky, but I have a few questions.
1. Will the car start with a bad GP? Sticky says no but my hard start condition makes me think it is glow related. When cold, the car will crank for 5-10 seconds before starting unless I let the GPs energize 3 or 4 times. Of course, this isn't an issue when the motor is warm. The fact that it is hard to start after sitting makes me think air ingress, but that doesn't seem consistent with it being easier to start with the plugs energized a few times.

2. Is it possible my plugs are not up to spec? I'm not much of a believer in one brand being necessarily absolutely superior to another, but I wonder if these off-brand (wholesaler discount, they were listed as champion but came as something else marked "replaces champion") are just a little weaker than oem. They are brand new, so I don't think one could have died already, but perhaps they just take 3-4 times longer to get as hot as a good bosch plug. I'm planning on replacing them just 'cause, but want to fault trace a little before I just throw money at it.

Door number three is maybe this motor is tired and doesn't make good compression, although it sounds healthy to my ear, doesn't consume much oil or smoke much, and feels pretty strong. It has somewhere around 275k on it, and was rebuilt once around 120k. Thoughts?