View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 06:52 PM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdturbo View Post

My latest project is a D24T powered 97 Land Rover discovery. The motor is out of an 86 745 with 101k original miles. I got to see the motor start and run at the dismantler it came from and seemed to be in generally good repair. I have had the truck up and running for almost a week now. Still sorting through all the misc wiring getting all the lights to work, glow plugs to behave, and keep the alt charging. The list is getting shorter and I am starting to come up with some questions.

1. It seems that the glow plugs stay on for about 30 seconds under any conditions. From what I understand they are supposed to shut off once the engine is running. How does the glow plug relay know the engine is running?
Afterglow is fine or good, there is a circuit to detect rekeying that causes glows not to cycle if you ran them in the last 20 sec or so. I think this is in the module on the fender.
30 sec on time is most likely the temp sensor just ahead of #1glow not connected or bad wire(don't know I've ever seen one that was still insulated). If you have Duratherms, 30 sec on time is nothing to worry about.

2. I was seeing only about 8psi of boost. I decided to remove the egr and over boost valve and run 12v to the alt compensator and it went up to about 10. Still seems rather laggy, anything else I should check?
10-11 PSI is stock. the alt compensator should have 12V anytime you are under 6000 feet. It botches your timing without power.
EGR should not be a factor at WOT, unless the valve was coked open, but I don't run one. What RPM do you make boost at, and do you have smoke will play heavily in diagnosing this. Also exhaust?
Does the cold start device work? (~1500 RPM idle on cold start) they usually don't, which again screws the timing and idle. disable it by pulling the block at the end of the cable, and rotating it 90* in relation to it's U shaped seat to slack the cable.wrong adjustments are often made to compensate for this failed thing.
Do you have unrestricted fuel line, and no bubbles in the return?

3. My number one injector is blowing fuel bubbles out of the base. Is this a common problem? I assume its just a seal but never really seen anything like that before.
No It's usually the feed fitting not on right, or a return hose that was damaged in handling(bumped with a wrench tightening the feed?) dripping down then boiling off.
the injectors have a seal washer under them that has to be new each time its removed, but that wold normally leak exhaust.
If the body halves are overtightened together you can crack them, loose they may leak it should be 55 Ft/LB which is also install torque. No seal between halves.
If the injector is removed with too small a socket, the return nipples can get cracked.
When removing injectors, always pull the wrench toward the motor, away risks breaking the boss off the head, no bueno.

Trying to get this thing running as best I can before I do stage zero and turn the fuel up. Seems to run nice and while it is on a heavy ass 4wd truck it does seem like it runs out of steam pretty quick. I can manage 60mph on flat ground but its work. Throttle seems to do nothing past 50%.

I have new conti belts and all the tools to set timing. I am looking for some new nozzles and shims to service the injectors. Bosch nozzles seem to be crazy cheap but I read here that monarks are the way to go. Only issue is I cannot find anyone that sells them. I have emailed the contact posted here and got no love. Any suggestions?
Sounds to me like you are not getting full throttle. I bet if I put an egg under my pedal I'd max out at 60 too. The car doesn't even come alive till half throttle/ 3000 RPM.
Do you have a tach working? You should see wastegate limited boost by 3000 RPM, and overboost valve open at 11PSI(you clearly feel the car fall flat on its face) ,3100RPM if you block the signal line. Spool about 500 earlier with an MBC helps alot with the M46.

I guess there are some things to look at.
Welcome to the board, I'm new here too.
I'll PM you my number, I can talk a lot faster than I type.