View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 11:54 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Congrats on the wedding!

Assume you are going oversize on the pistons... What kind of rings are you going to use? Just the standard Mahle stuff, or whatever comes on the pistons? Or have you considered using Total Seal rings? I looked into them at one point and decided against it due to expense but it might be worth considering for an engine that is going to put down a lot of power.

Also I would be sure to use a proper quality water pump, not a GMB, so that you are moving enough coolant to keep it cool. RockAuto sells Bosch pumps that are actually excellent quality. We ordered one and it turned out even nicer than the OEM-quality Graf I got from Tom. Nice smooth impeller casting, better than the Graf, and the Graf was good too. I would use a Bosch next time.

You might also considering sending your rods to Tom and having him set you up with a matched set of rods and pistons. There is a fair amount of variation in length and weight for rod+piston assemblies which can cause differences in compression between cylinders, difficulty selecting a headgasket thickness, etc. Tom has a massive collection and can make you a set of 6 that are matched for closest possible length and weight. If you are going to the trouble of building a nice motor I would do this to give it that extra little bit of smoothness and flexibility.