View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012, 07:15 AM

Default After market Timing belts, whats good, whats not, opinions please

Hi guys, I'm hoping to change the timing belt, along with the inj pump belt, tensioner, idler, crankshaft pulley oil seal and water pump in the next week or so. I phoned all the Volvo Dealer's in my area, as I would prefere to use genuine Volvo parts on something as crucial as a timing belt. Acording to all that I contacted the Timing belt is about $85, the inj pump belt is no longer available, the tensioner is almost $100 (ouch) the water pump is no longer available, and no one knew if it did or did not have a idler. So, with that in mind I'm going to have to buy most of the parts from an after market supplier. I'm thinking "Gates" or "Contitech" as they seem to have a good reputation. For the belts what one of those company's would you advise, bearing in mind I want belts that match or exceed OEM spec. The timing and pump belts were changed at a Volvo dealer 40k miles ago and I have reciept to confirm, but cant find one to say if the water pump, tensioner etc were changed as well so I am going to assume they were not and fit new ones while I've got it apart. I'd like to get a kit if possible but will buy individually if no kit is available. Any commets, advice, suggestions etc would be very welcome, thanks guys,
Aidan.