View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 10:04 AM

Vehicle: 740 turbodiesel
Default Electric fan conversion

Hi folks,

I've fitted an electric fan to my D24T(IC)

It's a standard Volvo 940 (large) one, which fits on the radiator, and uses a 2 speed relay.

To trigger it, I bought a kit from eBay which puts a switch into the radiator hose.

I put this in the top hose - am I right in thinking this is the inlet to the engine from the radiator? The hose from the thermostat on the engine is unchanged.

I also temporarily put a light in the dashboard to tell me when the radiator fan is running.

The switch triggers at two temperatures, the first of which is meant to be 88-83, the second temperature being 92-87.

So far as I know, I'm running a standard thermostat.

So, when driving on the motorway at 70mph, the electric fan is always on, and at the second speed. Temperatures today were at least 25 deg C (77f) outside.

The temperature gauge is steady and shows straight upwards. So I don't think it's overheating - I've done 20k miles in the car in the time I've owned it and it's never showed signs of overheating.

Has anyone else experience of this, and suggestions for a better switch location or suitable triggering temperatures?

This is a handy list of different switches I can readily get: http://www.x-eng.co.uk/X-ThermData.asp

Cheers,
Jim.

Last edited by tofufi; 08-07-2018 at 10:08 AM.