View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 05:27 PM

yep, I was thinking I could use a higher reading gauge to see just how high the boost is getting. this being my first diesel, and indeed my first turbo, I confess to not having much knowledge of waste gates, I believe there function is to relieve excess boost pressure but I dont know how to test them or what pressure they should open at (I assume the waste gate is that device with a diagphram and lever that sits between the turbo housing and the exhaust manifold???). Naturally I cant be certain but my instincts tell me that side of things is ok, as apart from the bang in acceleration at 3,100 rpm, and a slight drop in acceleration at 4,600 rpm upwards, overall the engine drives very well indeed and the way I drive it (very hard) after 3 months I'm sure something would have gone bang by now if there was an excess boost problem. I'll see if I can get another gauge and see where we're at as it's definately pushing a lot more than stock boost. Thanks for your help on this Jason, it really is appreciated.