View Single Post
Old 09-29-2015, 01:46 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Hmm, well, be aware that it has been the better part of a decade since I made that post and quoted that pricing and availability as it was told to me then, so 1) I don't know whether Rotunda still sells these tools or what their prices may be and 2) it'll take me a while to figure out where I have that phone number written down now, assuming it even still works. If you're committed to doing this let me know and I'll start digging through the hard drive and paperwork, but no promises on when or if I'll find it -- many moves and other things have happened since that old post was written.

I think Mike Rausch (Volvoist) was selling a number of these recently, including the crank counterhold (5187). Those are also fairly common in general, keep an eye on ebay, etc. The 5187 is the only tool that is absolutely critically necessary on a 740; everything else you can get by with other stuff if you have too. The 5202 idler puller you can easily adapt a pilot bearing puller with a bolt to accomplish what the factory tool does... the 5199 counterhold is widely available still or, on a 740, there's usually enough room to get behind the rear cam pulley with a generic sprocket counterhold tool too. The 5201 wrench is a nice one to have but you can get by quite easily without it if the rear bolt wasn't last installed by a gorilla... or if it was, that's probably the easiest tool in the whole set to fab a homemade replica for.

Last edited by v8volvo; 09-29-2015 at 01:50 PM.