View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 12:49 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

I have a copy of VADIS that I need to get working again. I will see if I can find any difference in part numbers for the various springs in the different 700/900 models. The early 760's (1983 and 84) used a different upper strut mount that looks more like something out of a 240, but I don't know whether the rest of the strut assembly (and spring) are different or not.

I'll see if I can look into the fuel filler differences too.

Hoping I will have a chance to experiment with my VNT sometime this summer and report some results. In the meantime if you are looking for a stock D24T turbo just to get yours going, I have an extra that I would sell fairly cheap as long as I knew it was going onto another D24T engine... or even "loan" with deposit equivalent to value. Or alternatively I know there are many options in the T3 family that can be made to work... several on here have played with various arrangements, you may want to ask Jason, Anders or Kevin (Slobodan) for ideas, I know they all have tried non-stock turbo setups on their cars with varying results. All of mine are stock so far, though I did crank up the boost on my 760 TD using an MBC for a while and the results were nice. The European D24TIC cars, to my knowledge, used the same basic turbo as the D24T, just with a different wastegate spring to set stock boost level higher (IIRC approx 12.5psi vs 9.9 for D24T) and the compressor housing clocked differently. Since your 960 will probably have room for a nice intercooler (maybe even a stock one off a 940T), that alone plus increased boost from a stock size turbo may be a nice start. In Europe it was possible to buy a 960 with a D24TIC through 1996, so evidently Volvo thought the TD with intercooler had enough beans to move the heavier 960 body around.

I'm hoping for good results from the VNT setup, since it promises the possibility of strong response at low RPM along with the ability to move lots of air at high engine speeds. The Liberty CRD engine that the turbo came off of is a 2.8L direct-injected intercooled 4-cylinder that makes 160 hp and almost 300 lb-ft of torque. My assumption is that since it moves the right amount of air at the right times for a slightly larger 2.8L engine but one that makes its power at lower RPMs (since it is DI), the flow properties will be about right for a D24T engine that with less displacement but a wider rev band. Remains to be seen what reality will be like. The difficulty will be controlling the vanes effectively, since that is done by the ECM in the donor car using a relatively complex control algorithm. Plan A is to use a Shelby Daytona CSX turbo actuator since it is a dual-acting design with ports on either side of the diaphragm so that both boost and throttle-modulated vacuum signals could be used, but no doubt it will take quite a bit of trial and error to get it set up correctly.

Here is the center console insert panel that fits the 760/960 style console with a manual trans. The opening for the shifter appears to have some attachment points for a shift boot that possibly clips into the panel. Probably there is a correct European part for that purpose too. I don't have it or know the appropriate number but I imagine it would not be too hard to fashion one, or you could just use an M46 boot like in a 740. I got the idea, and the part number, a couple years ago from the guy who put this car together: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=188058 -- and bought the part around that time as well. I forget what I had to do to obtain it... I think I ordered it from Tasca, then they called me up and told me since it was a Euro-only part they could not get it, and I said oh well, and then somehow it showed up anyway. Don't know whether that would work again or not. Maybe they somehow had one in a stockroom in the States that they were able to drudge up. In any case you can see the number on the package in the pictures: 1371049.

George