View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 07:06 PM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecklebone View Post
Nope, i do not have an intercooler. Turbo goes straight into the intake manifold.
I think i can lean it out a bit more and ill watch the temp go up.
My boost gauge indicates 11psi max boost, which suprised me for such a small turbo.
I am also trying to figure out how i can add a bit more fuel at the top end. I have a bit of smoke now, but once the engine is WOT in top gear there is no smoke. I have a HP22 four speed auto transmission and it max's out at 60mph on flat land.
In that case, I'd say your low EGT says you are underfuled when on boost.
11PSI is factory. (or your gauge isn't that good?)

A ball and spring boost controller will spool you up 500 RPM sooner, and I think a 2 stage that is bypassed when not floored would be better for EGT and economy. It helped a lot on my car, but maybe not as much with the auto. I'd turn up the max fuel screw till you can hit at least 1200 on a long grade, and your top speed may go up quite a bit. What is your RPM at that speed?
If you back the set screw on top of the boost compensator(which limits off boost fueling) out some, you will get more throw out of the mechanism (and possibly have to bump your low idle screw up)(I have seen one stick, and not deliver boost enrichment after the pump sat a long time).

Behind the plug under the boost reference line is the star wheel which preloads the spring manifold pressure has to overcome. Spin it in a few clicks makes it easier to fuel up as the boost comes on.

Tight spring = puff of black when you floor it, fading as boost catches up
Loose spring = black smoke on boost.
Not enough max fuel = no smoke ever(well, at least turn it up till you have some smoke, then back it off just enough for your taste/EGT).