View Single Post
Old 06-08-2016, 01:39 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeh View Post
Thanks, I think I'll get it towed down to a garage once the heads back on, they managed to change the belts with no issues.
I'm a bit dubious about doing the timing myself.
Seems like a solid plan, if they are capable diesel mechanics I imagine they should be able to time it without issue.

You will want to ensure that they have the correct tools for putting proper torque on the front crankshaft dampener bolt though. Even if they have the skills and *enough* of the tools to set timing correctly (this can be done with the same stuff that works on diesel VWs and anything with a Bosch rotary pump, very common), and are able to get it all timed and running perfectly as they did before, that is all only temporary if the front bolt isn't done right, which *cannot* be done with anything other than the correct special tools (or some kind of homemade variant built to do the exact same thing). Insufficient torque on this bolt inevitably leads to slipped timing and a wrecked motor. Numerous examples of this scenario just on this board, in the few hundred folks who are here. It's one of the most common killers of these engines due to the absolute necessity of the tools, but it is very easily avoided.

Best bet if you can do it is likely to get your hands on the tools -- if you've got the know-how to swap the head you will certainly have no trouble doing the timing yourself once you have the needed equipment, and then you will know for sure that it is done right and save some $. Plenty of folks here have them and are willing to loan, or overseas where you are, you can probably get them from other sources too.

Or if you'd rather skip the timing procedure, and want to have it done elsewhere, make sure the folks you use have the needed tools. If they don't, get the tools and provide them for their use, or find someone else who has them. Added hassle but given the work you are about to put in, you don't want to let one bolt put the whole motor at risk.

Last edited by v8volvo; 06-08-2016 at 01:43 PM.