View Single Post
Old 07-15-2020, 07:33 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadan View Post
That's a vane type vacuum pump, odd stock mounting, it just sort of sticks out there.
Interesting. I always thought the 5cyl engines used the same plunger/diaphragm type vacuum pump mounted on the side of the head and driven off the cam lobe, identical to a D24 or D24T. In fact I'm almost sure I have seen some 5cyl diesel and gas engines that had that plunger style pump.

Does your engine have the mounting location for the plunger style pump as well? I wonder why they used this different setup here. Maybe something about the vacuum demands on the original car the engine was in being greater than the other type pump could supply, and this pump has higher capacity to compensate? Like if the former automatic trans had a vacuum based control system, or vacuum hvac or door locks like some cars from the '80s did? Maybe we will never know for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadan View Post
You're also right in the time needed to finish the project, I felt 90% done three weeks ago!! The custom brackets, hose and wire routing and extra pieces and parts are extremely time consuming and, like you've observed, I don't want to skip the details towards the end of this project.
I got my Toyota pickup with a TDI swap running and driving around the block for the first time 3 YEARS ago and am STILL buttoning up loose ends, wiring harnesses, plumbing routings, etc. Still have quite a bit yet to do, even now after all this time. 3 weeks is pretty quick in the grand scheme of these kinds of projects IMO!!