View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013, 09:13 AM

Vehicle: VW LT40 4x4 (x2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
Interesting info. How common are those gasoline 2.4L sixes there? Wonder what they call them by -- "gasser D24" doesn't sound very official... If it was a Volvo motor they probably would have called it a "B24", but I know VW generally uses a different, and less logical, naming convention.
The 2.4l petrol (or gas) inline-6 was LT only.

Volvo uses their own petrol engines (like the B20 and B23) or Renault engines (like the 2.7 and 2.8l V6 engines), when it comes to petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
I remember reading somewhere that Volvo was involved in the engineering for the adaptation of turbocharging to the D24. If that is true, then VW got a lot of use out of Volvo's contribution in all those TD LT's. Have you ever heard anything about that part of the relationship? I'll try to find where I read that claim -- think it was in a Volvo official publication somewhere.
I've had a look at the timeline again. From 1975 to 1977, the diesel LT's had a 2.7l Perkins engine. The petrol ones were a 2l Audi inline-4.

This was replaced in 1978 with the D24.

In 1982, the D24T then was introduced together with a massive facelift (mostly interior and engines) of the LT and the introduction of the 2.4l inline-6 petrol also.

I'm not too sure, if Volvo had input with the adaption for use with a turbo, but the Volvo variant has usually more power than the LT variant of the engine, due to Volvo often using bigger injectors and a bigger turbo.

So Volvo always has added their little touch to VW's engines.

The same applies to the 2.5 TDI inline-5 engines in the Volvo 850.

/M