View Single Post
Old 09-19-2023, 05:10 PM

Vehicle: 1984 Volvo 760 TD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
You could do an easy test to see if the engine might be intact inside. Put a 27mm socket on the crankshaft pulley bolt and with a long ratchet or breaker bar rotate it a few rotations, feeling for valve-piston interferences.
My buddy thinks potentially the cylinders are rusted. This is what he wrote this to me..
"Look up what the people are recommending to use as compound to try to unfreeze the rusted cylinder. I believe I heard some mixture of kerosene and something else is a good method. You basically poor it into cylinder through glow plug hole and let it sit a little and try to move the crankshaft back and forth a little to make sure the liquid makes it way deeper into the piston rings. If you are lucky you will unstuck it and will be able to turn the engine freely. But probably the best way to approach the situation is to get the glow plugs out and check the front belt timing marks. If the marks are ok then great. I would get a cheap borescope to look inside the cylinders and you will understand better what is going on there. You can rent it from autozone or advance I think even. But my guess is rust. "

What do you think about this statement?

I guess I'm excited about the journey, but dont mind paying someone else to do the repair work. Kind of admire from afar, and be able to enjoy it once its running.

The previous owner ( who had it sit in the shop) states he changed headgasket, fixed the timing, but it was running too rough, because he didnt have the correct tool to get the timing set up.

Last edited by igor9212; 09-19-2023 at 05:12 PM.