View Single Post
Old 11-23-2022, 09:00 AM

Vehicle: VW LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
Did the engine run in a satisfactory way with that original IP? One thing I cannot recall (apologize if you already told us earlier) is what was your reason for removing this engine for repairs in the first place. Was it just proactive reconditioning? Or did it have operational issues as well? If the latter is the case, then installing the old IP may not be as conclusive of a step.
@v8volvo I had bought the engine with 270k km on it. It was running ok but a compression test revealed all cylinders were below the recommended wear limit, so I decided to rebuild it. One thing after another I ended up getting all new components, although some of the old ones (like the pump) didn't show any obvious problem.

Today temperatures were less hellish and I managed to spend the afternoon in the garage. To my disbelief, one of the two "new" injectors I got in the mail is junk. The second one also leaks slightly when held just below opening pressure (see below). At this point I will just return all of them and move on to a different shop, I don't trust this one anymore and it might very well be that the overfueling issues I'm seeing come from one or more injectors.

While I patiently wait for a new batch of injectors, here's a video of the "leaky" injector (the second one I mentioned above): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvSHxDQ6pco

Sorry if the video is shaky, I only have two hands . In the video, I'm holding the pressure tester at just below opening pressure. As you can see towards the end, a drop of diesel forms underneath the nozzle although opening pressure is never reached. Just so I have a good reference point when the new injectors will come: is this considered "ok" or even normal? Or would you say that injector too is bad?