View Single Post
Old 09-29-2013, 04:03 PM

Vehicle: VW LT40 4x4 (x2)

Anyhow. Here's more.

This is the Volvo D24TIC engine (engine code NV). You can see the difference to previous engines on the intake manifold.

Please note the rocker cover. The oil-lid is in the front.

And this is the rocker cover for the LT engine. The oil lid is in the back.

The two oil sumps. The top one is the Volvo one in aluminium. The bottom one is the LT 4x4 one in steel. The oil pickup in the sump obviously differs, too.

The later Volvo D24TIC's, like my '97, had an oil-cooler radiator instead of the coolant oil-cooler

Nevermind the intercooler. The oil-cooler is the one with the two hoses.

Due to space restrictions with the LT engine mounts, we had to fit the older type coolant oil-cooler.

See the core plug under the injector belt gear ? That's Volvo specific. In the LT, the gearbox covers that, so we plugged the outlet with a core plug and that's that.

Next up. The LT needed to get back on the lift. We had pushed it outside while we were prepping the engines. Sure, grab any oul' yoke, like my Renault 19 16v, and pull it back in

Engine and gearbox in and while we were at it, we also replaced the transfer box. The old New Process 208 was replaced with the newer New Process 241 box, as my 208 has a stretched chain and jumps gears, when placed in reduction setting.

As I was heading to a car show this weekend, we didn't manage to install the intercooler yet. So I've temporarily plumbed a bit piping across the engine and bypassed the intercooler.

As you can see, the oil-cap is now in the back, as that's where the service panel is.

You'll also notice 2 oil dip-sticks. The Volvo one is located in the engine housing, while the LT one is located on the sump. So we left the Volvo one there for now, but it's useless, as it doesn't show the oil-level properly anymore. It had to be shortened due to the different shape of the LT sump.

/M

Last edited by Marlow; 09-29-2013 at 04:06 PM.