View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012, 05:12 PM

Update:

I drove back over to the yard on Sunday and discovered that someone had removed the turbo from the engine, but everything else was there, so I pulled it from the car and also got the transmission, interior console shifter bits, cross-members and M46. I need to go back and pull the drive shaft and pedal cluster.

At this yard, when on pulls an engine, it includes everything from fan to firewall, I snagged a Garrett T3 off an '88 760 Turbo gasser. I know this isn't an exact match for the turbo on the D24T, but since I got it at no additional charge, I figured that I would get it and use it on one of my gassers if nothing else. I'm not sure who would have removed it, but I suspect it was someone who was interested in a turbo, not necessarily one for a D24T as they are pretty rare.

Anyway, the T3 that I got doesn't match the flange for the D24T, but I've figured out a way around that. I don't know the specs for the D24T turbo, but the T3 I got is a 42/46 I believe.

As much as I hate M46's, I got the tranny as well. If I get it going and use the engine, I'll swap over to a T-5 at some point. I figured it was worth getting just for the bellhousing.

The plan is to swap the engine into a '92 960 that I bought that has a bum motor. The car is really nice, and after considering it, the D24T would go into it with much more ease than fitting it into a 240, especially since I don't have a spare 240 that needs a motor now. Additionally, fitting a '92+ 7/940 intercooler setup should be straightforward.

Here are some photos, sorry that they are sort of large: