View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 09:38 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Fuel gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadan View Post

One thing that doesn't make sense is the fuel tank capacity in relation to the fuel gauge. I've got a 1985 745 Wagon...
Hi. Mine is completely crazy. I know that all Volvos we had in family had their gauges inaccurate and somewhat unreliable. RedArrow the 740wagon has a completely crazy fuel gauge. I don`t know how and why but it works totally `upside down`. When I fill it up *full*: it stays in the very left side = empty zone (red). As fuel level in tank gets lower, it slowly starts going to the right side (full zone). It happens pretty much all the time consistently. It never worked `the regular way` since I bought it but it is accurate in some ways. Exactly good at least once: at the middle when I have half of my fuel left. I know the car so by now I exactly know how much fuel I have in the tank. I just have to look at the mileage counter and devide it by 25-28 if city driving or 32-37 if highway driving and it tells me how many gallons of B20 diesel I have missing from the tank. If they ask me at the gas station I always say it in Gallons and not in $-s and I`m always right how much it will take.

I think my Volvo 240GLED6 `84 had its fuel gauge working correctly. That`s an exception from all Volvos I drove.
But I think you have a 60Liter fuel tank. (~16G~) Mine is a `85 745 that has the `86 gas tank.
The most I drove it on one tank was 480miles (772km), then I put 14 US Gallons of fuel into the tank when I finally reached a gas station. I got 2*5G diesel in the trunk though...
Picture shows gauge position when I have about 3.5 Gallons of fuel *used*.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5693.jpg (84.6 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 05-14-2013 at 10:44 PM. Reason: added photo of fuel gauge