View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 07:23 PM

A couple of years back my neighbour's car broke down just as they were in the middle of moving house. I went out to tow them home which is at the top of the mountain I live on. They had a 760 wagon, which was packed to the brim, plus an 8x4 trailer loaded to the hilt, so a good deal more weight than my 740 2.0 n/a auto petrol wagon. It pulled the lot up the mountain without any effort at all, so a D24T will have no problems pulling a load. I've used the 740 on God knows how many occasions to tow car's, trailer's, caravans etc, and I cant say anything bad about a 740's towing characteristic's, it's a great towing car and has never shown any unusual driving behaviour when towing. A trailer brake is always a good idea, but I've always had flawless operation from the brake's, even doing a panic stop while towing another car, it's then that you realise just how powerfull the brake's on these cars are. Unless your trying to pull Mount Everest I dont think you'll have any worries towing with a 740. A little tip that might be usefull, as your well aware whatever your towing often blocks your reversing lights, so I fitted a rectangular fog light to the bottom edge of the tow bar and wired it into the reverse lights. The amount of light it throws out leave's people in no doubt when your reversing, being so low to the ground it wont dazzle them, and it lights up an area of maybe 20 yards so you can actually see what your doing at night on an unlit road. You can add a simple on/off switch to the curcuit to deactivate the light when your not towing if you want but I leave mine permanently activated due to the roads I drive on.