View Single Post
Old 04-24-2018, 05:29 PM

Vehicle: 1983 Volvo 760 Turbo, D24 T, M46 manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
I think he means getting rid of all leftover debris by flushing the engine (="block") completely, allowing higher pressures of water entering for a longer period of time then reversing the direction and keep switching between routes of "flushing" through the entire cooling system, including the engibe block itself.
The overheat problem probably runs somewhere else though. I suspect the wrong thermostat too. He has a lot of things to confirm before trusting it.

I heard citric acid works wonders but after ten years of car sitting untouched (AND unknown history of proper maintenance) I would definitely stop experimenting around the cooling system and probably would decide by a full (real full) tune-up... Valves adjusted --- at the minimum, then hoses, top gasket and all you can think of, including getting fresh nozzles, glowplugs, and maybe much more (check and flush and adjust pump, do waterpump, belts and possibly even check wiring).

I hope it turns out to be a great runner!!!
As #1, I dont get it why PO ran it without the thermostat.

Yea, I may give it an engine flush just to eliminate that cause. It sat for 10 years after all. The car runs great, it starts up turn of the key no matter how long it's been sitting. Doesn't get that cold here often in NZ, so that helps. Also it doesn't smoke, you get it on the highway and put your foot down and it responds, the car pulls great.

I would trust it on any journey, just that cooling issue would have to be solved. New hoses will be done, will be getting a set of silicon hoses eventually. I want to replace the cooling system parts so I know it's good, such as waterpump and temperature sensor. Temperature sensor could have a lot of carbon build up around it making it read wrong. Just finding parts is the hard part.