View Single Post
Old 11-27-2014, 12:15 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridgewagon View Post
...the funny scalloped out socket to remove the injectors.
Not sure I've seen this. Usually use a 1-1/16" socket. Torque to 52ft-lbs, careful to always pull (or push) the ratchet lever towards the head, to avoid breaking off the injector boss cast into the head.

Quote:
Do you need a lens grinding set or similar to lap the injector pieces super smooth? Like super fine sand paper on a flat granite measuring table or similar when shimming up the Monark nozzles for pop-off pressure?
Yes, see HOW-TO: Rebuild Diesel IDI Injectors

Quote:
Parts available where for the cold start device? I remember seeing numbers and a source for those and the glow plug relay bits.
See Cold Start Waxstat

and

cold start removal

Quote:
Have a snap-on torque wrench good for ~280ft-lbs, so with the volvo extension dealie for the crank bolt it is probably enough? I know it's supposed to be 330 at the bolt. I forget what they say to torque it to if using the extension bar. Was always least painful to torque those with the car on a rack from underneath.
Why underneath? This photo shows how easy from above. Sorry, photo actually shows loosening. Tightening similar, just place crank pulley holding tool on other side of radiator fan bearing boss.P1010235.jpg

Quote:
It's a little loud and a little fast. Cold start disabled, timing needs to be verified. Smokes a lot at high(er) RPM under load. I'm hoping a fresh set of Monark's will cure that a fair bit.
What color smoke? Might be fuel filter or IP adjustment rather than injectors? What else is making you condemn the injectors?

Quote:
Borrowed the funny scallopy socket to remove the injectors to compression test it.
Make sure you have new injector heat shields for reinstall (or at least reform them w/ 1/2" ball bearing)(photos somewhere in this forum).

Your consistent 500PSI compression test results are optimum, really the main thing these engines need (compression, fuel, and air), should be a good runner once you get the details sorted out, regardless of the bad rep (sh***y turds!) these engines get on the other Volvo forums!

Quote:
...a little loud, alarmingly loud when the advance lever is pulled as though the cold start were pulling it into the "cold" position.
I forget if you said you had the neccessary +12VDC at the altitude compensator?

Most answers are scattered about this forum, sorry for the lack of a good index. Will require some dedicated searching time and a good internet connection. It is what it is.

Last edited by ngoma; 11-27-2014 at 12:19 PM.