View Single Post
Old 08-15-2018, 01:43 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Easy and inexpensive ways of a complete clean up of the d24 cylinder head.

In the previous post, I meant to say that I do not have big plans for the nonturbo d24 spare engines. I am keeping them just to get familiar with internal parts, repairs and assembly.

I have a question, though I maybe I already asked about it before. Probably in the other d24 disassembly thread (Resurrection of 1981 d24).

Well, long time ago I took all accessories off and got the engine apart, the cyl head is off now and partially disassembled.

What is the best solvent to use for a very good clean-up of the stained, oily, burnt, oxidized etc aluminum head?

Is it a good idea to have it soaking (submerged) in "petrol fuel"= gasoline? That worked great with the intake manifold, just a few hours of soaking in fuel took off EVERYTHING completely, inside and out, including carbon deposits, oil and all. (BTW, diesel fuel did not work well, at all.)

I know, it is flammable but is there any other disadvantage? Or, what is the best way of getting rid of all poop and prep the head for checkups, repairs?