View Single Post
Old 06-27-2010, 02:43 PM

Default shims?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Not if its volvo penta... That would be their marine engines. They will probably be more likely to be under vw parts.
Jason
+1 on that; VW shims are the ticket. Don't know much about the volvo pentas except that they are not related to the VW engine in your diesel Volvo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I wouldn't waste your money on buying 100+ shims unless you are a service shop or parts place... We don't even stock them any more as the demand is so low. We just order in whatever size you need. As I remember, they are about 2 or 3 bucks a piece.

Jason
Agree with the price; around $3 or so per is about the going rate for single shims, but-

a) I *HATE* to wait for supplies; I work a very full week and when the weekend comes I want to get things done, not figure out what I need and order parts, so spending $100 so that I can do valve adjustments when I want or when I have the time is worth it to me. YMMV. Plus, I have a dieselhead buddy that runs older VW diesels, and he can use them too.

b) I plan on running my volvo diesel fleet for a long time; I hope that they last the rest of my life, which hopefully is at least another 25 years or so, and I want to get all the parts that I might need for that time period. Again, if you aren't planning to run these things for a long while, YMMV.

c) even in the short term, there may come a day when you can't order a shim. Then you are looking at going to the machine shop to have one (or more) custom made. Of course, if that day comes, then you may decide you don't want your nice D24T anymore. If that day comes, call me! <grin>