View Single Post
Old 07-26-2016, 09:54 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Great pictures and tutorial. Thanks for posting, this will be a helpful resource!

A couple details that could add further, how did you source the parts -- did you get them through Bosch or through Volvo?

What method did you use for reassembling the housing against spring pressure? Member ngoma came up with a method that I like, which is to grab the cable where it exits the housing with a pair of needlenose vise grips before loosening the screws that hold the housing together, thereby retaining the springs as the rear section of the housing is removed. However, this only works if you aren't replacing the cable; if it needs a cable, you'd have to take it fully apart as you did.

The couple of times I have had to do that, I used a longer screw (IP head screw I think) to pull it together until I could get one of the regular screws started. Is that what you did too, or do you have another trick?

Thanks again, this is an important repair that many owners seem to neglect thinking it will be a hassle to fix, but this will help them and folks are always impressed at how much nicer the cars are to use when this system works correctly.