View Single Post
Old 08-08-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Any other insight or tips you have would be great too. I have the filtration system already set up and working, and have started filtering oil already. I have a source of water free pretty clean oil from the local happy wok, I get 5 gallons a week, so I thought I would start collecting and filtering ahead of time.

Jason
OK well...

First off, I believe that proper filtering and dewatering is half of the conversion.

I pick up in 5 gallon buckets or oil jugs, screen through a 400-200-100 micron bucket screen. Put in 55 gallon drum where I heat to 150 and then let SLOWLY cool over a period of days, settle for as long as I can, like a couple of weeks. Hot pan test for water, then gravity filter into a second drum through 50-25-10-5 micron bags. Then pump into cubies for storage and portable filling.

My car is a two tank conversion. I have a hot fox in the tank, coolant heated jacket for the veg only veg filter, hose-on-hose (dont trust HIH) run in the drainage channel under the drivers side doors so the hose is not exposed to the outside at all, arctic fox FPHE in the engine bay, Vegtherm in the engine bay run on a separate switch so I can turn it on and off as I feel needed.
My weak spot is the valve. I have a 6 port pollack but that does return a tiny bit of veg to the diesel tank on every switch back to diesel so I run the diesel tank almost empty every now and again to purge it and I keep it nice and full of Diesel in the NY winters. I have two 3 way switches from greasecar ready to go in if I find the time to fix this issue. I have been running it for 2 years this way but it should be changed some day.

Car does great, I currently have 1128 miles on only half a tank of diesel being used

Steve