View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 06:36 PM

Default D24/D24T Parts info wanted

Hello all, (new to this forum, I also put in a hello in the intro section), looking for a parts book for the VW D24 series - on-line maybe a PDF file? I'll explain below:

So I've been interested in the D24T as a possible engine swap candidate, I've noted it had the Audi transmission bolt pattern. Can any of you tell me if VW used the same (manual trans) flywheel on the D24 and the D24T, would it be the same on the Audi 5 cyl, and the 4 cyl 2.0L used in the Porche 924. Better yet, is there an on-line source for part numbers for these flywheels? I have this $100 Porsche 924 - great body - engine is all apart and bits are missing. An early 924 with a D24T in it would be fun and a bit ... well ... warped. The original Audi 2.0L only put out 95hp so it shouldn't be any slower.

I had also considered using the D24T in my Range Rover - it is done in Europe - my Rover uses the same ZF22 automatic as the 740. I had noticed some discussion here about the ZF unit, a great resource is <http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/> they build a ZF22 with the upgraded guts of the ZF24 which should take 300+ hp and stay together. Their website has a lot of ZF22/24 info too. I'm leaning toward the Mercedes 3.0L OM617.952 turbo diesel for the Rover at the moment - its more powerful and I have one in hand. The D24T became interesting again when I had to rescue this 924 from my neighbors yard. But, I don't have a D24T in hand either.

The other issue I'm wondering about - the VW diesel Vanagon and the Porsche 924 both tilt this engine block at about 45 degrees - any thoughts on tilting the D24 that much - oil pickup and sump changes are a given. Again, part numbers would be useful in working this out too.

Thanks, cool new forum by the way, Jon
2004 Prius (my wife the practical one)
plus assorted VW's and a MB 300D - future projects?