View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014, 09:06 AM

Default Timing marks Overheating

Interesting thread

On V8volvo question about manual gearbox’s. The timing marks on a manual Pinzgauer diesel can be found by removing the rear bed floor plate to gain access to the gearbox. Then take off the gearbox vent box located on the N/S/F on the top of the gearbox 3 10MM bolts and washers.

You will have to lay on the rear floor with a light then you will see the marker which is a bit on the round side (Not as clear as the auto box one which is more of a point) you will just be able to pick out the timing marks on top of the flywheel as well its the O which you all know is the correct TDC mark

I have had a Pinzgauer running OK but a bit flat when driving it with .20 on the dial gauge.

The front crankshaft pulley with the is the location key sheared is the main cause of camshafts breaking

On the overheating I assume that you changed the water pump when doing all this work. One of the biggest problems with these vehicles is the Radiator.

Also I assume that you replaced the thermostat VW have uprated them and the drain back hole should be fitted at the top.

VW have been modified the Rad cap to the 1 bar one on thes engines.

The P80 had a lot of overheating problems and Steyr changed the set up on the P90 by fitting a larger Rad and changing some of the piping. This cured most of the problems with another small update on the P93

Have you checked your rad. I would change that after the thermostat and water pump. Even to the point of changing the Rad first after checking out that the other 2 are working..

If I get another Pinz I would strip the engine down and check over everything before running it after the problems that I have experienced with working on them.