D24T.com

D24T.com (http://d24t.com/index.php)
-   Diesel Engine and Drivetrain (http://d24t.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Oil Pump (http://d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1679)

S&W 629 07-29-2016 06:49 PM

Oil Pump

I can't find an oil pump for my D24T. Anybody have a good one to sell?

anders 07-29-2016 07:51 PM

What's wrong with the current one?

S&W 629 07-30-2016 04:27 PM

It's cracked and leaking where the piston and spring assembly is located. I may have to have my neighbor weld the crack.

v8volvo 07-31-2016 06:58 AM

I may have one I can spare, I'll look.

How'd it get cracked there?

S&W 629 07-31-2016 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v8volvo (Post 11253)
I may have one I can spare, I'll look.

How'd it get cracked there?

I have no idea. I bought the car in January and it had the leak then. I took the car in to the repair shop on July 22nd to have the rubber fuel lines that connect each injector replaced and the oil pan gasket replaced. I had been given the wrong oil pan gasket and had to wait a couple days for the correct gasket to arrive after we found it online. Then they found that the oil feed line for the turbo was leaking as well. Couldn't find a replacement and ended up having a new one built. that was two more days in the shop. Then they found the crack in the oil pump. That was Thursday and they still haven't gotten the pump out of the car for me to inspect it and determine what my next step will be, either a replacement part or perhaps having my neighbor, who is an expert welder, weld a bead over the crack. Hopefully I will have the part in hand Monday for further evaluation.

v8volvo 07-31-2016 01:53 PM

Careful, hope you have a very skilled shop working on it that knows exactly what they are doing before they get into this part of the job. Removing the oil pump means removing the crank dampener and the timing belt........ and then having to put it back together again. Are the folks doing this knowledgeable about this job and do they have the large set of *required* special tools to reassemble it successfully?

If not, you might want to hit the brakes on this and reconsider your options. If they haven't pulled it all apart yet and you have any question about their familiarity or access to the special tools, you might want to try some kind of outside patch (e.g. JB Weld) on the crack and see if that helps and buys you some time to assemble the parts and tools if needed. Once the pump is pulled off, you are committed to what amounts to a full timing belt job and whatever it takes to get that done right -- cannot cut any corners on procedure or equipment.

S&W 629 08-06-2016 06:05 PM

Yeah, it's been apart on the shop's lift for 17 days now. The mechanic is familiar with this engine and has done extensive repair work on them. I found a pump that I think will work in London England and purchased it today. Finding the correct pump has been a real challenge. The problem is the mating surface has a couple of shallow gouges that some ham fisted mechanic created while removing the pump sometime in the past. Someone consequently tried to JB Weld the area of the leak but oil bubbled up and leaked out there anyhow. This is right where the piston and spring housing is located. My neighbor welded the gouge and now I'm trying to find an automotive machine shop to mill it smooth again.